Page 1 from 3
Total results: 3065
- To make ashamed; to embarrass; to destroy the self-possession of, as by exciting suddenly a consciousness of guilt, mistake, or inferiority; to disconcert; to discomfit.
- To lose self-possession; to become ashamed.
- To regard with horror or detestation; to shrink back with shuddering from; to feel excessive repugnance toward; to detest to extremity; to loathe.
- To fill with horror or disgust.
- To turn aside or avoid; to keep away from; to reject.
- To protest against; to reject solemnly.
- To shrink back with horror, disgust, or dislike; to be contrary or averse; definition.
- Differ entirely from.
- A unit of measurement in the centimeter-gram-second scale used to measure conductance.
- A unit of electrical resistance equal to one billionth of an ohm (10-9 ohms), used in the centimeter-gram-second system of units.
- A spicy and salty pickle in Indian cuisine.
- The sound of a sneeze.
- dandruff (or similar condition)
- In a gushing state.
- In or to the front; in advance; onward.
- In the direction one is facing or moving.
- In or for the future.
- At an earlier time.
- Having progressed more.
- In a heap; huddled together.
- name, variant of Ahmed.
- of Arabic origin.
- name, variant of Ahmad.
- of Arabic origin.
- at the hull of a ship
- Having the sails furled and the helm lashed alee, as during a storm.
- A city in south Iran, capital of the Khuzestan Province.
- The first letter of the Proto-Canaanite alphabet, and its descendants in descended Semitic scripts, such as Phoenician Aleph Aramaic Syriac Hebrew and Arabic
- Resembling or characteristic of ale.
- An Egyptian singer or dancing-girl used for entertainment; a dancing-girl, a prostitute.
- Nigh; near; close by (to).
- Nigh; near.
- Sapsucking pest insect of the superfamily Aphidoidea; an aphidian.
- Resembling or characteristic of an ape.
- one who has attained enlightenment; a Buddhist saint
- one of the stages of the ascetic's spiritual evolution, when all passions (anger, ego, deception, greed, attachment, hatred and ignorance) are destroyed; arhanta
- Any of various medical remedies.
- Money or some other valuable item given to evidence a contract; a pledge or earnest.
- An early Welsh bishop and saint
- A large, shallow, oval dish used for serving food.
- the head of the Assyrian pantheon, later identified with Anshar
- the city of Assur
- a common given name among Assyrian people
- grandson of Noah in Genesis
- Noble; illustrious
- A chief or lord.
- A prince or noble.
- A kind of tamarisk native to northern Africa and the Middle East, planted widely elsewhere as a shade tree and a windbreak due to its tolerance of heat and of alkaline soils, but tending to become invasive outside of its native range.
- one of the Gigantes
- A peninsula in Greece containing Mount Athos
- anything whatever, any part.
- whit, the smallest part, iota.
- The digit zero as the decade in years. For example, aught-nine for 1909 or 2009.
- At all, in any degree, in any respect.
- Of importance or consequence (in the phrase "of aught").
- Esteem, respect.
- Property; possession
- Duty; place; office
- to own, possess
- to owe, be obliged or obligated to
- possessed of
- Washed by the waves or tide; said of a rock or strip of shore, or of an anchor, etc., when flush with the surface of the water, so that the waves break over it.
- Covered, overspread.
- The first principle of metals, that is, mercury, which was formerly supposed to exist in all metals, and to be extractable from them.
- The universal remedy of Paracelsus.
- A portable coffer or chest with a rounded lid covered in leather, garnished with nails, once used for the transport of clothes or other personal luggage. It was the original portmanteau.
- A dwarf-wall of plain masonry, carrying the roof of a cathedral or church and masked or hidden behind the balustrade.
- An ancient city and centre of Buddhism, Islam, and Zoroastrianism and capital of Bactria.
- One of the 34 provinces in Afghanistan, Balkh Province.
- A general strike, shutdown, or other form of protest used in South Asia in which a substantial portion of the population stays home and does not report to work.
- A place of shelter for cattle.
- A bank; a sandbank.
- A field or patch of ground lying near a stream; the dale in which a stream flows.
- The process of baking.
- The quantity of bread or other baked goods baked at one time.
- A quantity of anything produced at one operation.
- A group or collection of things of the same kind, such as a batch of letters or the next batch of business.
- A set of data to be processed with one execution of a program.
- A bread roll.
- A graduating class.
- To aggregate things together into a batch.
- To handle a set of input data or requests as a batch process.
- Of a process, operating for a defined set of conditions, and then halting.
- To live as a bachelor temporarily, of a married man or someone virtually married.
- An enclosed public swimming pool; originally a place having individual cubicles where people without bathrooms could have a bath.
- The shore of a body of water, especially when sandy or pebbly.
- A horizontal strip of land, usually sandy, adjoining water.
- The loose pebbles of the seashore, especially worn by waves; shingle.
- To run aground on a beach.
- To run (something) aground on a beach.
- To bathe (with warm liquid); foment.
- To dry or heat (unseasoned) wood for the purpose of straightening it.
- Any of various herbs and plants of the genera Limonium, Centaurea, Silene, etc.
- To carve; adorn; embellish.
- A fixed bunk for sleeping in (caravans, trains, etc).
- Room for maneuvering or safety. (Often used in the phrase a wide berth.)
- A space for a ship to moor or a vehicle to park.
- A room in which a number of the officers or ship's company mess and reside.
- A job or position, especially on a ship.
- Position or seed in a tournament bracket.
- position on the field of play
- to bring (a ship or vehicle) into its berth
- to assign a berth (bunk or position) to
- Cannabis, especially as used in the Indian subcontinent.
- that is common in many ethnicities in India.
- Traditionally among Brahmins, a Brahmin who has learned all the four Vedas.
- A Central Indo-Aryan language spoken in west-central India.
- A measure of land in India, varying from a third of an acre to an acre.
- A corner, bend, or angle; a hollow
- An area of sea lying between two promontories, larger than a bay, wider than a gulf
- A bend or curve in a coastline, river, or other geographical feature.
- A curve in a rope
- Any of various trees of the genus Betula, native to countries in the Northern Hemisphere.
- A hard wood taken from the birch tree, typically used to make furniture.
- A stick, rod or bundle of twigs made from birch wood, used for punishment.
- A birch-bark canoe.
- to punish with a stick, bundle of twigs, or rod made of birch wood.
- to punish as though one were using a stick, bundle of twigs, or rod made of birch wood.
- The process of childbearing; the beginning of life.
- An instance of childbirth.
- A beginning or start; a point of origin.
- The circumstances of one's background, ancestry, or upbringing.
- That which is born.
- A familial relationship established by childbirth.
- To bear or give birth to (a child).
- To produce, give rise to.
- A female dog or other canine, particularly a recent mother.
- A despicable or disagreeable, aggressive person, typically a woman or man considered effeminate in some way.
- A submissive person, often female, who does what others want; a slave.
- A complaint, especially when the complaint is unjustified.
- A difficult or confounding problem.
- A queen (playing card), particularly the queen of spades in the card game of hearts.
- Something unforgiving and unpleasant.
- Place; situation
- To behave or act as a bitch.
- To criticize spitefully, often for the sake of complaining rather than in order to have the problem corrected.
- To spoil, to ruin.
- A feeling of boredom and no motivation; depression.
- An act of blushing.
- A glow; a flush of colour.
- Feeling or appearance of optimism.
- A sort of makeup, frequently a powder, used to redden the cheeks.
- A color between pink and cream.
- A pale pink wine made by removing the dark grape skins at the required point during fermentation.
- To become red in the face due to shyness, shame, excitement, or embarrassment.
- To become red.
- To suffuse with a blush; to redden; to make roseate.
- To change skin color in the face (to a particular shade).
- To express or make known by blushing.
- To have a warm and delicate colour, like some roses and other flowers.
- The collective noun for a group of boys.
- a town and river in Northumberland, England,
- a village in Nottinghamshire, England.
- a river in Suffolk, England.
- A black tea from China. Originally referred to a high quality tea, now refers to a lower-grade tea.
- The province of Bohol.
- The island of Bohol.
- To perform (a task) in an unacceptable or incompetent manner; to make a mess of something; to ruin; to bungle; to spoil; to destroy.
- To do something without skill, without care, or clumsily.
- To repair or mend clumsily.
- An action, job, or task that has been performed very badly.
- A patch put on, or a part of a garment patched or mended in a clumsy manner.
- A ruined, defective, or clumsy piece of work; mess; bungle.
- A mistake that is very stupid or embarrassing.
- A messy, disorderly or confusing combination; conglomeration; hodgepodge.
- A tumour or other malignant swelling.
- A case or outbreak of boils or sores.
- A small cottage, especially one for communal use in remote areas by labourers or farmhands.
- impetuous or rash
- insensitive or tactless
- impudent or shameless
- A rash or eruption; a sudden or transient fit of sickness.
- brittle, as wood or vegetables
- Leaf litter of small leaves and little twigs as found under a hedge.
- Broken and angular rock fragments underlying alluvial deposits.
- Broken fragments of ice.
- An implement consisting of multiple more or less flexible bristles or other filaments attached to a handle, used for any of various purposes including cleaning, painting, and arranging hair.
- A piece of conductive material, usually carbon, serving to maintain electrical contact between the stationary and rotating parts of a machine.
- The act of brushing something.
- Wild vegetation, generally larger than grass but smaller than trees (Wikipedia).
- A short and sometimes occasional encounter or experience.
- The furry tail of an animal, especially of a fox.
- A tuft of hair on the mandibles.
- A short contest, or trial, of speed.
- An instrument, resembling a brush, used to produce a soft sound from drums or cymbals.
- An on-screen tool for "painting" a particular colour or texture.
- In 3D video games, a convex polyhedron, especially one that defines structure of the play area.
- The floorperson of a poker room, usually in a casino.
- (North Wisconsin, uncountable) Evergreen boughs, especially balsam, locally cut and baled for export, usually for use in wreathmaking.
- To clean with a brush.
- To untangle or arrange with a brush.
- To apply with a brush.
- To remove with a sweeping motion.
- To touch with a sweeping motion, or lightly in passing.
- To clean one's teeth by brushing them.
- A group of a number of similar things, either growing together, or in a cluster or clump, usually fastened together.
- The peloton; the main group of riders formed during a race.
- An informal body of friends.
- A considerable amount.
- An unmentioned amount; a number.
- A group of logs tied together for skidding.
- An unusual concentration of ore in a lode or a small, discontinuous occurrence or patch of ore in the wallrock.
- The reserve yarn on the filling bobbin to allow continuous weaving between the time of indication from the midget feeler until a new bobbin is put in the shuttle.
- An unfinished cigar, before the wrapper leaf is added.
- A protuberance; a hunch; a knob or lump; a hump.
- To gather into a bunch.
- To gather fabric into folds.
- To form a bunch.
- To be gathered together in folds
- To protrude or swell
- Like a bush in having many widely spread branches.
- Growing thickly.
- (Racial slur) Derogatory word used to refer to Afro-textured Hair.
- An endangered burrowing, nocturnal bird, Pterodroma cahow, from Bermuda; the
- The act of seizing or capturing.
- The act of catching an object in motion, especially a ball.
- The act of noticing, understanding or hearing.
- The game of catching a ball.
- A find, in particular a boyfriend or girlfriend or prospective spouse.
- Something which is captured or caught.
- A stopping mechanism, especially a clasp which stops something from opening.
- A hesitation in voice, caused by strong emotion.
- A concealed difficulty, especially in a deal or negotiation.
- A crick; a sudden muscle pain during unaccustomed positioning when the muscle is in use.
- A fragment of music or poetry.
- A state of readiness to capture or seize; an ambush.
- A crop which has germinated and begun to grow.
- A type of strong boat, usually having two masts; a ketch.
- A type of humorous round in which the voices gradually catch up with one another; usually sung by men and often having bawdy lyrics.
- The refrain; a line or lines of a song which are repeated from verse to verse.
- The act of catching a hit ball before it reaches the ground, resulting in an out.
- A player in respect of his catching ability; particularly one who catches well.
- The first contact of an oar with the water.
- A stoppage of breath, resembling a slight cough.
- Passing opportunities seized; snatches.
- A slight remembrance; a trace.
- To capture, overtake.
- To capture or snare (someone or something which would rather escape).
- To entrap or trip up a person; to deceive.
- To marry or enter into a similar relationship with.
- To reach (someone) with a strike, blow, weapon etc.
- To overtake or catch up to; to be in time for.
- To discover unexpectedly; to surprise (someone doing something).
- To travel by means of.
- To become pregnant. (Only in past tense or as participle.)
- To seize hold of.
- To grab, seize, take hold of.
- To take or replenish something necessary, such as breath or sleep.
- To grip or entangle.
- To be held back or impeded.
- To engage with some mechanism; to stick, to succeed in interacting with something or initiating some process.
- To have something be held back or impeded.
- To make a grasping or snatching motion (at).
- Of fire, to spread or be conveyed to.
- To grip (the water) with one's oars at the beginning of the stroke.
- To germinate and set down roots.
- To contact a wave in such a way that one can ride it back to shore.
- To handle an exception.
- To intercept.
- To seize or intercept a object moving through the air (or, sometimes, some other medium).
- To seize (an opportunity) when it occurs.
- To end a player's innings by catching a hit ball before the first bounce.
- To play (a specific period of time) as the catcher.
- To receive (by being in the way).
- To be the victim of (something unpleasant, painful etc.).
- To be touched or affected by (something) through exposure.
- To be infected by (an illness).
- To spread by infection or similar means.
- To receive or be affected by (wind, water, fire etc.).
- To acquire, as though by infection; to take on through sympathy or infection.
- To be hit by something.
- To serve well or poorly for catching, especially for catching fish.
- To get pregnant.
- To take in with one's senses or intellect.
- To grasp mentally: perceive and understand.
- To take in; to watch or listen to (an entertainment).
- To reproduce or echo a spirit or idea faithfully.
- To seize attention, interest.
- To charm or entrance.
- To attract and hold (a faculty or organ of sense).
- To obtain or experience
- A 20th century spelling variant of Cathy, diminutive of the female given name Catherine.
- name and of its variant forms, also used as a formal given name in the 20th century.
- To toss up the head frequently, as a horse to avoid the restraint of the bridle.
- To not broadcast a medal-winning or otherwise memorable or crucial figure skating performance. This only occurs in a live broadcast because the network has to decide which programs to show and which to cut in the interest of time. If a skater is low in the rankings and several big names are set to skate later, that performance may be cut.
- The inedible parts of a grain-producing plant.
- By extension, any excess or unwanted material, resource, or person; anything worthless.
- Loose material, e.g. small strips of aluminum foil, dropped from aircraft specifically to interfere with radar detection.
- Straw or hay cut up fine for the food of cattle.
- Light jesting talk; banter; raillery.
- To use light, idle language by way of fun or ridicule; to banter.
- To make fun of; to turn into ridicule by addressing in ironical or bantering language; to quiz.
- A fungus, Inonotus obliquus, found in over-the-counter medical and nutritional treatments and as an ingredient in herbal tea.
- The large spiral shell of several species of sea conch, much used in making bangles, especially
- To eat noisily; to champ or chomp
- To sing, especially without instruments, and as applied to monophonic and pre-modern music.
- To sing or intone sacred text.
- To utter or repeat in a strongly rhythmical manner, especially as a group.
- Type of singing done generally without instruments and harmony.
- A short and simple melody, divided into two parts by double bars, to which unmetrical psalms, etc., are sung or recited. It is the most ancient form of choral music.
- Twang; manner of speaking; a canting tone.
- A repetitive song, typically an incantation or part of a ritual.
- A narrow lane or passage between houses in a town.
- To work by the day, without being a regularly hired servant; to do small jobs; to char.
- Charcoal; coke.
- A pointed stick, which when placed with the point against another piece of wood, and spun rapidly in alternate directions with the aid of attached cords, produces enough heat by friction to create a fire; a fire-drill.
- A wine glass.
- A variety of hunting bird.
- To reduce by strong heat, as to produce charcoal or coke; to calcine.
- To make a grating sound.
- An object, act or words believed to have magic power (usually carries a positive connotation).
- The ability to persuade, delight or arouse admiration; often constructed in the plural.
- A quantum number of hadrons determined by the quantity of charm quarks & antiquarks.
- A small trinket on a bracelet or chain, etc., traditionally supposed to confer luck upon the wearer.
- seduce, persuade or fascinate someone or something.
- To use a magical charm upon; to subdue, control, or summon by incantation or supernatural influence.
- To protect with, or make invulnerable by, spells, charms, or supernatural influences.
- To make music upon.
- To subdue or overcome by some secret power, or by that which gives pleasure; to allay; to soothe.
- The mixed sound of many voices, especially of birds or children.
- A flock, group (especially of finches).
- A map.
- A map illustrating the geography of a specific phenomenon.
- A navigator's map.
- A systematic non-narrative presentation of data.
- A tabular presentation of data; a table.
- A diagram.
- A graph.
- A record of a patient's diagnosis, care instructions, and recent history.
- A ranked listing of competitors, as of recorded music.
- A written deed; a charter.
- A subspace of a manifold used as part of an atlas
- To draw a chart or map of.
- To draw or figure out (a route or plan).
- To record systematically.
- To appear on a hit-recording chart.
- Sad; sorrowful; grievous.
- Disposed to cherish with care; careful.
- Cautious; wary; shy.
- Sparing; not lavish; not disposed to give freely.
- A deep, steep-sided rift, gap or fissure; a gorge or abyss.
- A large difference of opinion.
- A small South American subspecies of tiger cat ( native to Argentina and Paraguay.
- A type of residential tenement building found in India, typically for poor working-class people.
- singular of, i.e. nonstandard version of chews.
- A suburban village in Sutton on the border of London and Surrey
- Trade; traffic; chaffer; chaffering.
- A market; marketplace.
- A low price; a bargain.
- Cheapness; lowness of price; abundance of supply.
- Low and/or reduced in price.
- Of poor quality.
- Of little worth.
- Underhand or unfair.
- Ungenerous; stingy, mean (UK), tightfisted, excessively frugal.
- To trade; traffic; bargain; chaffer; ask the price of goods; cheapen goods.
- To bargain for; chaffer for; ask the price of; offer a price for; cheapen.
- To buy; purchase.
- To sell.
- To violate rules in order to gain advantage from a situation.
- To be unfaithful to one's spouse or partner.
- To manage to avoid something even though it seemed unlikely.
- To deceive; to fool; to trick.
- To beguile.
- Someone who cheats (informal: cheater).
- An act of deception or fraud; that which is the means of fraud or deception; a fraud; a trick; imposition; imposture.
- The weed cheatgrass.
- A card game where the goal is to have no cards remaining in a hand, often by telling lies.
- A hidden means of gaining an unfair advantage in a computer game, often by entering a cheat code.
- Of a small bird, to make short, high-pitched sounds sounding like "cheep".
- To express in a chirping tone.
- A short, high-pitched sound made by a small bird.
- A unit of weight equal to 200 kg (441 lbs.).
- A former Turkish unit of weight equal to 180 okas.
- A former Turkish unit of weight equal to 100 dirhems (variously .15–.35 kg).
- to gossip, particularly in a forthright manner
- to speak rudely or out of turn
- Massive, usually dull-colored and opaque, quartzite, hornstone, impure chalcedony, or other flint-like mineral.
- A flint-like tool made from chert.
- A board game for two players with each beginning with sixteen chess pieces moving according to fixed rules across a chessboard with the objective to checkmate the opposing king.
- Any of several species of grass in the genus Bromus, generally considered weeds.
- One of the platforms, consisting of two or more planks dowelled together, for the flooring of a temporary military bridge.
- A box, now usually a large strong box with a secure convex lid.
- A coffin.
- The place in which public money is kept; a treasury.
- A chest of drawers.
- The portion of the front of the human body from the base of the neck to the top of the abdomen; the thorax. Also the analogous area in other animals.
- A hit or blow made with one's chest.
- To hit with one's chest (front of one's body)
- To deposit in a chest.
- To place in a coffin.
- Debate; quarrel; strife; enmity.
- To come to an issue; to turn out; to succeed.
- having a pliable or springy texture when chewed
- a capital city of Chiba prefecture, Japan.
- To admonish in blame; to reproach angrily.
- To utter words of disapprobation and displeasure; to find fault; to contend angrily.
- To make a clamorous noise; to chafe.
- A leader or head of a group of people, organisation, etc.
- The top part of a shield or escutcheon.
- Primary; principal.
- To smoke cannabis.
- The edge of a cask, etc; a chine.
- A musical instrument producing a sound when struck, similar to a bell (e.g. a tubular metal bar) or actually a bell. Often used in the plural to refer to the set: the chimes.
- An individual ringing component of such a set.
- A small bell or other ringing or tone-making device as a component of some other device.
- The sound of such an instrument or device.
- A small hammer or other device used to strike a bell.
- To make the sound of a chime.
- To cause to sound in harmony; to play a tune, as upon a set of bells; to move or strike in harmony.
- To utter harmoniously; to recite rhythmically.
- To agree; to correspond.
- To make a rude correspondence of sounds; to jingle, as in rhyming.
- A chine; the edge of a cask.
- To review each image on a digital camera after it is taken.
- To get very excited when showing images on a digital camera.
- To become happier.
- To make happier.
- To make the sound of a bird; to chirp.
- lively; cheerful; in good spirits
- Collective noun for goldfinch.
- A din or confused noise, as of many voices, birdsong, etc.
- To chirp or to make a mournful cry, as a bird does.
- A short, sharp or high note or noise, as of a bird or insect.
- A pulse of signal whose frequency sweeps through a band of frequencies for the duration of the pulse.
- to make a short, sharp, cheerful note, as of small birds or crickets
- to speak in a high-pitched staccato
- To modify (a pulse of signal) so that it sweeps through a band of frequencies throughout its duration.
- To make the prolonged trilling sound of an insect (e.g. a grasshopper, a cicada).
- The trilled sound made by an insect.
- A hunt or chase.
- A hunting cry.
- To vex or harass with petty attacks.
- To maneuver or secure gradually.
- To scurry.
- An unsharpened section of a knife blade in front of the guard on the blade
- The indentation of a pocket-knife blade where it joins the tang
- A small handleless cup in which saké is served.
- A chayote.
- A short-sleeved blouse worn under a sari; an Indian underbodice.
- A Mexican or Hispanic gang member, or somebody perceived to embody similar characteristics.
- The act of chomping
- To bite or chew loudly or heavily.
- To remove the final character from (a text string) if it is a newline (or, less commonly, some other programmer-specified character).
- A chicken, especially a hen.
- A cooked chicken; a chicken dressed for cooking.
- A fool.
- Jaws, mouth.
- One's skill at musical interpretation and delivery (originally of jazz); musical performance ability.
- One's skill at any endeavor; ability, talent.
- The area where two tides meet and cause an irregular (choppy) sea.
- A pattern that involves carrying the object with the hand over the next object before throwing it.
- To talk, chat; also, to talk back, to be cheeky.
- A harmonic set of three or more notes that is heard as if sounding simultaneously.
- A straight line between two points of a curve.
- A horizontal member of a truss.
- The distance between the leading and trailing edge of a wing, measured in the direction of the normal airflow.
- A keyboard shortcut that involves two or more distinct keypresses, such as Ctrl+M followed by P.
- The string of a musical instrument.
- A cord.
- An edge that is not part of a cycle but connects two vertices of the cycle.
- To write chords for.
- To accord; to harmonize together.
- To provide with musical chords or strings; to string; to tune.
- A dry salt lake, in the Saharan area of Africa, that stays dry in the summer but receives some water in the winter.
- A squat, rounded form of oenochoe with a trefoil mouth.
- An assessment equal to a quarter of the revenue.
- An intersection where tracks or roads cross (often used in place names).
- A marketplace or open area in a city or village.
- A courtyard.
- A diminutive of the male given names Christopher and, less commonly, of Christian.
- A diminutive of the female name Christina and of its variant forms.
- stupid; churlish
- A coarse or stupid fellow.
- To make noisy puffing sounds, as of a steam locomotive.
- To break wind.
- To intermittantly extinguish and reignite a powder charge.
- Superfluous small talk that is free of conflict, offers no character development, description or insight, and does not advance the story or plot.
- A breathy noise produced by a tiger, similar in function to a cat's purr.
- Swollen with fat.
- The vagina.
- An incompetent person, a blockhead; a loser.
- A gullible person; a sucker; someone easily taken advantage of; someone lacking common sense.
- The thick end, especially of a piece of wood or of a joint of meat.
- A part of something that has been separated.
- A representative portion of a substance, often large and irregular.
- A discrete segment of a file, stream, etc. (especially one that represents audiovisual media); a block.
- A segment of a comedian's performance
- To break into large pieces or chunks.
- To break down (language, etc.) into conceptual chunks of manageable size.
- To throw.
- A rustic; a countryman or labourer; a free peasant (as opposed to a serf).
- A rough, surly, ill-bred person; a boor.
- A selfish miser; an illiberal person; a niggard.
- a freedman, ranked below a thane but above a thrall
- To agitate rapidly and repetitively, or to stir with a rowing or rocking motion; generally applies to liquids, notably cream.
- To produce excessive and sometimes undesirable or unproductive activity or motion.
- To move rapidly and repetitively with a rocking motion; to tumble, mix or shake.
- (in a booking system) to repeatedly cancel and rebook a reservation in order to refresh ticket time limits or other fare rule restrictions.
- A vessel used for churning.
- The time when a consumer switches his/her service provider.
- The mass of people who are ready to switch carriers, expressed by the formula Customer Quits/Customer base.
- Cyclic activity that achieves nothing.
- A digestive fluid containing fatty droplets, found in the small intestine.
- The thick semifluid mass of partly digested food that is passed from the stomach to the duodenum.
- A simple saddle girth used in Mexico.
- Something that is very easy to do.
- A firm hold.
- To bring to certain conclusion.
- To tighten down.
- A variety of auction pitch in which a draw to improve the hand is added, and the five of trumps (called "right Pedro") and the five of the same colour (called "left Pedro", and ranking between the five and the four of trumps) are each worth five. Fifty-one points make a game.
- In the game of cinch, to protect (a trick) by playing a higher trump than the five.
- A loud sound.
- A skirmish, a hostile encounter.
- a match; a game between two sides.
- An angry argument
- Opposition; contradiction; such as between differing or contending interests, views, purposes etc.
- A combination of garments that do not look good together, especially because of conflicting colours.
- An instance of restarting the game after a "dead ball", where it is dropped between two opposing players, who can fight for possession.
- to make a loud clash
- to come into violent conflict
- to argue angrily
- to not look good together.
- to coincide, to happen at the same time, thereby rendering it impossible to attend all.
- to face each other in an important game.
- The game of ninepins.
- A disease in the feet of cattle; laminitis.
- A woven fabric such as used in dressing, decorating, cleaning or other practical use.
- A piece of cloth used for a particular purpose.
- A form of attire that represents a particular profession.
- Priesthood, clergy.
- A marine gastropod of the family Strombidae which lives in its own spiral shell.
- The shell of this sea animal.
- A musical instrument made from a large spiral seashell.
- A machine (rather like a rotating pestle and mortar) used to develop the flavour and texture of chocolate by warming and grinding; a concher or concher machine.
- To refine the flavour and texture of chocolate by warming and grinding, either in a traditional concher, or between rollers.
- To play a conch seashell as a musical instrument, by blowing through a hole made close to the origin of the spiral.
- The hootchy-kootchy, a type of erotic dance.
- The vagina or vulva.
- To push air from the lungs in a quick, noisy explosion.
- To force something out of the throat or lungs by coughing.
- To make a noise like a cough.
- A sudden, usually noisy expulsion of air from the lungs, often involuntary.
- A condition that causes one to cough; a tendency to cough.
- known, renowned
- Marked by or possessing a high degree of sophistication; cultured, refined.
- Social grace, sophistication; manners; refinement.
- An automobile, airplane, or other vehicle accident.
- A computer malfunction that is caused by faulty software, and makes the system either partially or totally inoperable.
- A loud sound as made for example by cymbals.
- A sudden large decline of business or the prices of stocks (especially one that causes additional failures)
- A comedown of a drug.
- A group of rhinoceroses.
- quick, fast, intensive, impromptu
- To collide with something destructively, fall or come down violently.
- To severely damage or destroy something by causing it to collide with something else.
- (via gatecrash) To attend a social event without invitation, usually with unfavorable intentions.
- To accelerate a project or a task or its schedule by devoting more resources to it.
- To make or experience informal temporary living arrangements.
- To give, as a favor.
- To lie down for a long rest, sleep or nap, as from tiredness or exhaustion.
- To terminate extraordinarily.
- To cause to terminate extraordinarily.
- To experience a period of depression and/or lethargy after a period of euphoria, as after the euphoric effect of a psychotropic drug has dissipated.
- To hit or strike with force
- Plain linen.
- the weight of 1 litre of hydrogen at standard temperature and pressure. Equal to approximately 0.09 grams.
- A violent collision or compression; a crash; destruction; ruin.
- Violent pressure, as of a moving crowd.
- Crowd which produces uncomfortable pressure.
- A violent crowding
- A crowd control barrier
- An infatuation or affection for.
- The human object of such infatuation or affection.
- A standing stock or cage with movable sides used to restrain livestock for safe handling
- A party, festive function
- The process of crushing cane to remove the raw sugar, or the season that this process takes place in.
- To press or bruise between two hard bodies; to squeeze, so as to destroy the natural shape or integrity of the parts, or to force together into a mass.
- To reduce to fine particles by pounding or grinding; to comminute.
- To overwhelm by pressure or weight; to beat or force down, as by an incumbent weight.
- To oppress or burden grievously.
- To overcome completely; to subdue totally.
- To be or become broken down or in, or pressed into a smaller compass, by external weight or force
- To feel infatuation with or unrequited love for.
- to defeat emphatically
- An archaic stringed instrument associated particularly with Wales, though once played widely in Europe, and characterized by a vaulted back and enough space for the player to stop each of the six strings on the fingerboard.
- defensive armour for the thighs
- The rocks, crushed shells, and other sea detritus that create an oyster bed, where oyster spawn can attach themselves.
- To prepare an oyster bed with such (culch) attachments.
- To accumulate small household items of little value.
- Easy, making few demands, comfortable.
- Comfortable; often in a way that will suit a person's body.
- a preservative, made from catechu gum boiled in water, used to prolong the life of a sail or net
- Of, from, or pertaining to Czechia or the Czech people, culture, or language.
- A person from the Czech Republic (Czechia) or of Czech descent.
- A Slavic language primarily spoken in the Czech Republic.
- Calculated to arrest attention; ostentatiously fashionable; showy.
- To remove the ash from.
- National capital territory and old city in northern India in which the country’s capital New Delhi is located.
- A village in New York, USA
- The vertical distance below a surface; the degree to which something is deep.
- The distance between the front and the back, as the depth of a drawer or closet.
- The intensity, complexity, strength, seriousness or importance of an emotion, situation, etc.
- The total palette of available colors.
- The property of appearing three-dimensional.
- The deepest part. (Usually of a body of water.)
- A very remote part.
- The most severe part.
- The number of simple elements which an abstract conception or notion includes; the comprehension or content.
- A pair of toothed wheels which work together.
- The perpendicular distance from the chord to the farthest point of an arched surface.
- The lower of the two ranks of a value in an ordered set of values.
- The capital of Bangladesh.
- An Islamic prayer whereby a phrase or expression of praise is repeated continually.
- A laundryman in India and Pakistan; a washerman.
- A handcrafted sailboat with a motor or lateen sails, resembling a dhow, that is used in the Maldives.
- A long loincloth worn by Hindu men in India.
- The cotton fabric used for such loincloths.
- To deal with, handle.
- To have sexual intercourse with.
- To dispose, put (in a given state or condition).
- To compose, make.
- To furnish, equip.
- To dress, array; to adorn.
- To make ready, prepare.
- A daughter of Jacob and Leah.
- name of biblical origin. Alternative form of Dina.
- attractive; good-looking; sexy
- A trench; a long, shallow indentation, as for irrigation or drainage.
- To discard or abandon.
- To deliberately crash-land an airplane on water.
- To deliberately not attend classes; to play hookey.
- To dig ditches.
- To dig ditches around.
- To throw into a ditch.
- A thick, malleable substance made by mixing flour with other ingredients such as water, eggs, and/or butter, that is made into a particular form and then baked.
- To make into dough.
- A multiple star in the constellation of Ursa Major and part of the Plough; Alpha (α) Ursae Majoris.
- A dominion or region ruled by a duke or duchess.
- a town in north Surrey, England.
- The digit/figure 8.
- Any of the four cards in a normal deck with the value eight.
- A light, narrow rowing boat, especially one used in competitive rowing, steered by a cox, in which eight rowers each have two oars.
- A race in which such craft participate.
- An island in a river; an ait.
- A former Hebrew unit of dry volume (about 23
- One of the five annually-elected senior magistrates in various Dorian states, especially in ancient Sparta, where they oversaw the actions of Spartan kings.
- A superintendent or curator.
- A particular period of history, especially one considered remarkable or noteworthy.
- A notable event which marks the beginning of such a period.
- A precise instant of time that is used as a reference point.
- A precise instant of time that is used as a reference point (e.g. January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 UTC).
- One complete presentation of the training data set to an iterative machine learning algorithm.
- To divide (data) into segments by time period.
- a town in northern Surrey, England.
- Moral, relating to morals.
- A set of principles of right and wrong behaviour guiding, or representative of, a specific culture, society, group, or individual.
- The morality of an action.
- The character or fundamental values of a person, people, culture, or movement.
- A form of rhetoric in which the writer or speaker invokes their authority, competence or expertise in an attempt to persuade others that their view is correct.
- The traits in a work of art which express the ideal or typic character, as influenced by the ethos (character or fundamental values) of a people, rather than realistic or emotional situations or individual character in a narrow sense; opposed to
- The leaves of an orchid (Angraecum fragrans) of the islands of Bourbon and Mauritius, used in France as a substitute for Chinese tea.
- To suck semen out of a sexual partner's vagina or anus.
- To retrieve; to bear towards; to go and get.
- To obtain as price or equivalent; to sell for.
- To bring or get within reach by going; to reach; to arrive at; to attain; to reach by sailing.
- To bring oneself; to make headway; to veer; as, to fetch about; to fetch to windward.
- To take (a breath), to heave (a sigh)
- To cause to come; to bring to a particular state.
- To recall from a swoon; to revive; sometimes with to.
- To reduce; to throw.
- To bring to accomplishment; to achieve; to make; to perform, with certain objects.
- To make (a pump) draw water by pouring water into the top and working the handle.
- The object of fetching; the source and origin of attraction; a force, quality or propensity which is attracting eg., in a given attribute of person, place, object, principle, etc.
- A stratagem by which a thing is indirectly brought to pass, or by which one thing seems intended and another is done; a trick; an artifice.
- The apparition of a living person; a wraith; one's double (seeing it is supposed to be a sign that one is fey or fated to die)
- The act of fetching data.
- A woman's lightweight triangular scarf worn over the shoulders and tied in front
- To contend in physical conflict, either singly or in war, battle etc.
- To strive for; to campaign or contend for success.
- To conduct or engage in (battle, warfare etc.).
- To engage in combat with; to oppose physically, to contest with.
- To try to overpower; to fiercely counteract.
- To cause to fight; to manage or manoeuvre in a fight.
- An occasion of fighting.
- A battle between opposing armies.
- A physical confrontation or combat between two or more people or groups.
- A boxing or martial arts match.
- A conflict, possibly nonphysical, with opposing ideas or forces; strife.
- The will or ability to fight.
- A screen for the combatants in ships.
- To illegally take possession of (especially items of low value); to pilfer, to steal.
- Something which has been filched or stolen.
- An act of filching; larceny, theft.
- A person who filches; a filcher, a pilferer, a thief.
- A hooked stick used to filch objects.
- Dirt; foul matter; that which soils or defiles.
- Smut; that which sullies or defiles the moral character; corruption; pollution.
- The police.
- Weeds growing on pasture land.
- Of, from, or similar to fish.
- Suspicious; inspiring doubt.
- Of drag queens: appearing feminine.
- The European polecat, Mustela putorius.
- The skin of the polecat
- The soft tissue of the body, especially muscle and fat.
- The skin of a human or animal.
- Bare arms, bare legs, bare torso.
- Animal tissue regarded as food; meat.
- The human body as a physical entity.
- The mortal body of a human being, contrasted with the spirit or soul.
- The evil and corrupting principle working in man.
- The soft, often edible, parts of fruits or vegetables.
- Tenderness of feeling; gentleness.
- Kindred; stock; race.
- A yellowish pink colour; the colour of some Caucasian human skin.
- To bury (something, especially a weapon) in flesh.
- To inure or habituate someone or a given practice.
- To put flesh on; to fatten.
- To add details.
- To remove the flesh from the skin during the making of leather.
- A hopper-shaped box in which ore is placed to be stamped.
- A group of birds that have suddenly started up from undergrowth, trees etc.
- To cause to take flight from concealment.
- To take suddenly to flight, especially from cover.
- Smooth, even, aligned; not sticking out.
- Wealthy or well off.
- Short for flush left and right; a body of text aligned with both its left and right margins.
- Full of vigour; fresh; glowing; bright.
- Affluent; abounding; well furnished or suppled; hence, liberal; prodigal.
- A sudden flowing; a rush which fills or overflows, as of water for cleansing purposes.
- Particularly, such a cleansing of a toilet.
- A suffusion of the face with blood, as from fear, shame, modesty, or intensity of feeling of any kind; a blush; a glow.
- Any tinge of red colour like that produced on the cheeks by a sudden rush of blood.
- A sudden flood or rush of feeling; a thrill of excitement, animation, etc.
- To cleanse by flooding with generous quantities of a fluid.
- Particularly, to cleanse a toilet by introducing a large amount of water.
- To become suffused with reddish color due to embarrassment, excitement, overheating, or other systemic disturbance, to blush.
- To cause to blush.
- To cause to be full; to flood; to overflow; to overwhelm with water.
- To excite, inflame.
- To be cleansed by being flooded with generous quantities of water.
- To clear (a buffer) of its contents.
- To flow and spread suddenly; to rush.
- To show red; to shine suddenly; to glow.
- To fill in (joints); to point the level; to make them flush.
- To operate a placer mine, where the continuous supply of water is insufficient, by holding back the water, and releasing it periodically in a flood.
- To fill underground spaces, especially in coal mines, with material carried by water, which, after drainage, constitutes a compact mass.
- A hand consisting of all cards with the same suit.
- Abundance; plenty.
- Abundant; copious; plenteous.
- Newly produced or obtained.
- Not cooked, dried, frozen, or spoiled.
- Still green and not dried.
- Refreshing or cool.
- Without salt; not saline.
- Rested; not tired or fatigued.
- In a raw or untried state; uncultured; unpracticed.
- youthful; florid
- recently; just recently; most recently
- A rush of water, along a river or onto the land; a flood.
- A stream or spring of fresh water.
- The mingling of fresh water with salt in rivers or bays, as by means of a flood of fresh water flowing toward or into the sea.
- Rude, cheeky, or inappropriate; presumptuous; disrespectful; forward.
- Sexually aggressive or forward; prone to caress too eagerly; overly flirtatious.
- A frog.
- A first year student, at certain universities.
- To initiate academic freshmen, notably in a testing way.
- To damage through incompetence.
- To break up, smash.
- To charge, rush violently.
- To straighten up (the feathers on an arrow).
- Easily broken; brittle; crisp.
- noise; clatter; crash
- The frog of a horse's foot.
- A discharge of a foetid or ichorous matter from the frog of a horse's foot; thrush.
- Fullness; abundance; plenty.
- Fill; sufficiency; repletion; satiety.
- Full growth; perfection.
- A pink and grey species of cockatoo, Eolophus roseicapilla, native to Australia.
- A fool, an idiot.
- To drop from a high place upon sharp stakes or hooks as a punishment.
- A form of plaster of Paris formerly used in Persia
- An ancient Hebrew unit of weight and currency equal to one twentieth of a shekel.
- Having a ghastly appearance; weird.
- An evil spirit or monster; a ghoul.
- form of: a steep ravine leading to the sea
- A hero or champion, especially as a Muslim against non-Muslims; often used as a title.
- Capital city of the province of East Flanders, Belgium.
- The spirit; the soul of man.
- The disembodied soul; the soul or spirit of a deceased person; a spirit appearing after death; an apparition; a specter.
- Any faint shadowy semblance; an unsubstantial image; a phantom; a glimmering.
- A false image formed in a telescope, camera, or other optical device by reflection from the surfaces of one or more lenses.
- An unwanted image similar to and overlapping or adjacent to the main one on a television screen, caused by the transmitted image being received both directly and via reflection.
- A ghostwriter.
- An unresponsive user on IRC, resulting from the user's client disconnecting without notifying the server.
- An image of a file or hard disk.
- An understudy.
- A covert (and deniable) agent.
- The faint image that remains after an attempt to remove graffiti.
- An opponent in a racing game that follows a previously recorded route, allowing players to compete against previous best times.
- A dead person whose identity is stolen by another. See
- White or
- Transparent or
- The of.
- Perceived or listed but not
- Of or nature.
- To haunt; to appear to in the form of an apparition.
- To die; to expire.
- To ghostwrite.
- To sail seemingly without wind.
- To copy a file or hard drive image.
- To gray out (a visual item) to indicate that it is unavailable.
- To forcibly disconnect an IRC user who is using one's reserved nickname.
- To appear without warning; To move quickly and quietly; to slip.
- to kill
- to break up with someone without warning or explanation (see ghosting)
- A spirit said to feed on corpses.
- A graverobber.
- A person with an undue interest in death and corpses.
- (Scotland/Northern England) A ravine.
- A band passed under the belly of an animal, which holds a saddle in place.
- The part of an animal around which the girth fits.
- One's waistline circumference, most often a large one.
- A small horizontal brace or girder.
- The distance measured around an object.
- The length of the shortest cycle in a graph.
- To bind as if with a girth or band.
- A figure carved in relief or incised, especially representing a sound, word, or idea.
- One of various figures used in Mayan writing.
- Any non-verbal symbol that imparts information.
- A visual representation of a letter, character, or symbol, in a specific font and style.
- A vertical groove.
- To grind (one's teeth) in pain or in anger.
- To grind between the teeth.
- To run away
- gushing; effusive and often emotional
- A male given name.
- of, or relating to the deepest parts of the ocean
- a Muslim who has memorized the whole Qur'an
- An indigenous people of the Northwest Coast of North America who live primarily in British Columbia and Alaska.
- The indigenous language of this people.
- A city in northern Israel.
- Of a person, having a lot of hair on the body.
- Of an animal, having a lot of fur.
- Of a body part other than the head, having hair growing from it.
- Difficult, complex, intricate, or intimidating.
- An official of a Muslim court, of varied importance, initially controlling access to the caliph, but later very powerful; a chamberlain.
- One who has participated in a hajj.
- A Muslim or Arab.
- a common spelling variant of Hayley.
- name, popular in the US in the 1990s and the 2000s.
- Any of several places in the US and Canada named after persons with the surname.
- A rare spelling variant of Hallie, diminutive of the female given name Harriet.
- A confection usually made from crushed sesame seeds and honey. It is a traditional dessert in India, the Mediterranean, the Balkans, and the Middle East.
- name used by Muslims.
- name used by Muslims.
- Resembling ham.
- Amateurish; characterized by overacting.
- of a hamstring injury.
- A hamster.
- A rich goblet, especially one used on state occasions.
- A non-Hawaiian, usually specifically a Caucasian.
- by accident or luck
- A fabulous winged monster, ravenous and filthy, having the face of a woman and the body of a vulture.
- A shrewish woman.
- One who is rapacious or ravenous; an extortioner.
- The European moor buzzard or marsh harrier (Circus aeruginosus).
- A large and powerful double-crested, short-winged American eagle (Thrasaetus harpyia).
- Resembling marijuana in taste or smell.
- Slovenly; careless.
- A follower of Hasidism.
- singular of: has to; is required to.
- A hand gesture used to depict the meaning of a song
- Speed; swiftness; dispatch.
- Urgency; sudden excitement of feeling or passion; precipitance; vehemence.
- To urge onward; to hasten.
- To move with haste.
- Acting in haste; being too hurried or quick.
- disliked; odious.
- hateful; detestable
- Of, relating to, or resembling, a hat.
- Fond of hats.
- (collectively) The stems of various cultivated plants, left after harvesting the crop to be used as animal litter or for thatching
- An individual plant stem.
- Part of a harness; a hame.
- To inhabit, or visit frequently (most often used in reference to ghosts).
- To make uneasy, restless.
- To stalk, to follow
- To live habitually; to stay, to remain.
- To accustom; habituate; make accustomed to.
- To practise; to devote oneself to.
- To persist in staying or visiting.
- A place at which one is regularly found; a hangout.
- A ghost.
- A feeding place for animals.Oxford English Dictionary, second edition (1989)
- A river in Germany.
- widespread devastation, destruction
- To pillage.
- To cause havoc.
- Resembling or characteristic of a hawk.
- The part of the bow containing the hawseholes.
- A hawsehole or hawsepipe.
- The horizontal distance or area between an anchored vessel's bows and the actual position of her anchor(s).
- A position relative to the course and position of a vessel, somewhat forward of the stem.
- Said of a vessel lying to two anchors, streamed from either bow.